If you’re like many, you may even know what a Discord server is, let alone deleting one. This article will discuss what a Discord server is and how to delete one if you ever decide it isn’t for you.
What is Discord?
Discord is a platform made especially for gamers, but you can use it for a variety of uses, like building a community server for your audience. Discord’s functionality falls somewhere between Skype and TeamSpeak, while also borrowing elements from services like Slack. Essentially, it’s a place for group chatting. Each server contains different channels. So, for instance, if Creator Handbook had a Discord server, we could have different channels for different purposes. One server can be for group voice calls; one could be for discussion on community building and the other could be for funny memes on YouTube. Basically, think of a server as a file cabinet and the channels as the folders within it.
Growing your Discord
Once a Discord server is created and live, you have several options to invite people, send gifts and have multiple channels in the servers where members can hold conversations.
One downside to Discord is that it’s easy for trolls to join servers if it’s a public server. Trolls can target servers to post spam or harass others. However, you can control the number of trolls through moderation, member approvals and bots.
Deleting your Discord
There are a few reasons why you might want to delete your server. You may find that you no longer use it anymore. You also might have made a new server, and you no longer need your old server. Having multiple servers can rack up your notifications and can get overwhelming. As a creator, you want to stay organized, so having multiple servers with the same purpose isn’t good. Not only can it get confusing, but it can also divide up your community into different servers.
How to delete your Discord server
Whatever the reason you have for deleting your Discord server, here are the steps you nee d to take:
- First, you have to click on the server on the left-hand side of your Discord app
- Next, click the drop-down arrow on the upper left-hand side. You can also select the server settings option, which you can find in the lower left-hand side of your screen with the gear icon next to it
- Once in the server settings, scroll all the way down to the bottom left side of the column. You will see an option to delete your server there
- Select the button to delete your server
- Another pop-up box will appear. The box will ask you to type in the name of the server you want to delete. This step is to ensure it’s deleting the correct server and that you do want to delete it.
- Once typing in the name of the server you want to delete, select the Delete Server button.
How to delete your Discord server on mobile
Deleting your Discord server on mobile is slightly different than deleting it on desktop. However, thankfully the process is the same for Andriod and iOS. Here’s how to delete your Discord on mobile:
- Locate the server you want to delete in the mobile app. Select it
- Click on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner
- Scroll to the settings option and click it
- Select Overview and then scroll to the bottom of the pop-up menu. Here you will see an option to delete the server
- After selecting the delete button, a pop-up box will appear. It will ask you if you’re sure you want to delete your server
- Select Yes
You don’t have to delete your Discord server
If you want to step away from your server but don’t want to break up the community you’ve built, you can always transfer the ownership role to someone else. Here’s how to do that:
- Open ‘Server Settings.’ You can access it by selecting the Server Name box
- In User Management, select the Members tab
- Hover over the users you want to transfer ownership to and select the three dots
- A sub-menu will open. Select the Transfer Ownership button
You can disable your server
If you think you might want your server back in the future, you can choose to disable it instead. To disable your Discord server:
- Select the server you want to disable
- Go down to user settings — the gear icon — and select it
- Select: Disable account
- A pop-up box will appear asking you if you’re sure you want to disable your server. Enter your password and hit the disable account button to confirm
To delete or not delete?
Deleting your Discord server is a relatively simple process. However, it’s a permanent one. If you’re unsure if you should delete your server, consider either transferring ownership or disabling it. If you know for a fact you no longer want your server, then follow the steps above, and it should be gone in just a few minutes.